Sunday 20 July 2014

WARM SUMMER SALAD

Last week I was given a fantastic thank you present from one of my schools. They keep chickens and grow vegetables in the playground and had a bumper crop that week. I don't know if it was real or just the idea of eating home grown food, but it all tasted ten times better than supermarket stuff!



I need to find out what variety of potatoes the red ones are because they were gorgeous. The skins were almost like a plastic transparent film that flaked off and they were fuscia pink underneath. Any ideas? 

The beetroots were much prettier than supermarket ones and tasted stronger. I roasted them with carrot and sweet potato. Yum!




Today, I turned my attention to the peas and broad beans. Here is the recipe for my summer salad with grilled trout. Hands down the tastiest lunch I've had in months!





RECIPE

Serves 1 (but if served with bread or new potatoes could feed two with an extra piece of fish)

Ingredients


  • 1 large fillet of trout
  • 2-3 Parma ham
  • Handful Broad Beans, double podded (see tips and tweaks)
  • Handful Fresh Peas, podded
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 100g Asparagus tips
  • Handful pea shoots
  • knob of butter
  • Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium and place a frying pan on the hob on a medium heat. Wrap the trout in the Parma ham and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Grill for 10 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.


2. Meanwhile melt the knob of butter in the frying pan and add the asparagus. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the spring onions, peas and broad beans. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.



3. Scatter the plate with the pea shoots, top with the vegetables and the trout.

TIPS AND TWEAKS

The first time I encountered broad beans I double podded them without blanching them first. It took ages and I was almost crying with frustration by the end. Then I tried eating them with the skins on. Bleurgh! No need! First, pod them and then add the beans to a pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Plunge into a bowl of cold water to stop them cooking further. Take one and make a tiny incision with your finger nail through the outer skin, squeeze and the bright green bean will pop out. Watch out, they do sometimes fly out quite quickly!



Happy Experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment